For FDNSC's latest COVID information click here .... COVID Information

Exceptional Children

Francine Delany Exceptional Children’s Department contracts with outside services as needed including School Psychologist, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, Teacher of the Visual Impaired, Teacher of the Deaf/Hard of Hearing.

Child Find

Francine Delany New School for Children follows all state and federal regulations governing locating, identifying, and evaluating children with disabilities who are in need of special education and related services. This effort also includes highly mobile children with disabilities (such as migrant and homeless children) and children who are suspected of being a child with a disability and in need of special education, even though they are advancing from grade to grade. FDNSC will inform parents and or guardians of the Child Find Process and the services available from FDNSC, local school systems, and other state and community agencies. The EC coordinator will assist with communication between home, school, and community services. NC Department of Public Instruction Child Find Posters are posted in the main office and EC office areas. Brochures are available in the Main Office.

Dispute Resolution

Concerns for the education of students with special needs can be addressed by following Francine Delany’s Parent Grievance Procedure. If the concerns are not resolved with satisfaction or a parent wants Exceptional Children dispute resolution information, the information can be found on the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction – EC Division’s website here.

Transfer Students

When a student transfers to or enrolls at FDNSC with an Individual Education Plan (IEP), the school will provide Exceptional Children’s (EC) services that are comparable to those being received at the student’s previous school. FDNSC EC and 504 Coordinator will request the student’s record from their previous school(s) and will determine if the records are complete. If the student’s current IEP is from North Carolina, then the IEP team will meet as soon as possible to review and revise the IEP. If the student has moved from another state, the school will convene a referral meeting to determine if the IEP team has enough information to continue services without new evaluations or if evaluations are necessary in order to determine eligibility in North Carolina.

Helpful Parent Resources:

Handbook on Parents’ Rights — This handbook will help you understand the legal rights provided for you and your child with a disability.

Department of Public Instruction: Dyslexia and Dyscalculia–This DPI page provides information and resources regarding dyslexia and dyscalculia.

What is Dyslexia? – A short video describing dyslexia. Here is the same video with Spanish subtitles.

North Carolina Department of Public Instruction: Exceptional Children Division — The State Board of Education site provides links to Exceptional Children policies, parent resources, DPI staff, etc.

ECAC: Exceptional Children’s Assistance Center — ECAC is a private non-profit parent organization that provides information, education, outreach, and support to families across the state of North Carolina.

Autism Society of North Carolina — ASNC is a statewide organization, supporting North Carolinians affected by autism.